This tutorial will be helpful for beginners to install NVIDIA Driver 460.39 in Ubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 20.10, Ubuntu 18.04, and Linux Mint.
Nvidia released a new production branch version 460.39 for the Unix systems which includes FreeBSD, Solaris, and GNU/Linux.
The latest version of Nvidia driver 460.39 comes with support to the new GPUs except for Solaris and a few bug fixes.
Nvidia 460.39 Changelog
- Added support to the below GPUs
- GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU
- GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU
- GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU
- GeForce GT 1010
- Updated the NVIDIA driver to restore the functionality of some features, with recent kernels such as Linux 5.10.
- Bindless texture samplers bug fixed
- GPU to hang when attempting to perform link training on an HDMI 2.1 Fixed Rate Link (FRL) display, while the display is powered off bug fixed.
- Fixed a bug that could intermittently cause NvFBC applications to fail with the error message “Unable to send exported fds”.
How to Install NVIDIA Driver 460.39 in Ubuntu / Linux Mint?
Step 1: Verify the model of NVIDIA graphic card
From the above output, we can see the recommended driver is nvidia-driver-460 , so we can go ahead and install that.
Step 2: Add the proprietary GPU drivers PPA
Step 3: Update the repository
Step 4: Install NVIDIA Driver 460.39
Once installation is completed , reboot the server for the new driver to become active.
Uninstall NVIDIA Driver 460.39
If you are planning to remove the drivers use the below command and also remove the Nvidia driver PPA
To remove the NVIDIA Driver run